Cheesy Quinoa Muffins
These little muffins can be a meal all by themselves. Ivan and I like to pack them in our lunch cooler for airplane flights. You could serve them at any party and be proud!
Author: Beth Misner
Recipe type: Phase 3
Serves: 18 muffins
- 2 cups of cooked rainbow quinoa
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup grated raw goat milk cheddar cheese
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. Real Salt sea salt
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 18-muffin tin with unbleached paper muffin cups
- Simmer 1 cup of rainbow quinoa (or any quinoa) in 2 cups of water just until soft, the cooked quinoa will expand as it absorbs the cooking water
- While quinoa is cooking, saute ½ cup of chopped onions and 2 cloves of chopped garlic until translucent, set aside to allow to cool
- Remove cooked quinoa from the heat, drain and set aside to allow to cool
- In a separate large bowl whisk 6 egg whites with a fork
- Add 1 cup of grated raw goat milk cheddar cheese (or other goat cheese of your choice)
- Add the sauteed onions and garlic to the eggs and cheese
- Add Real Salt sea salt to taste (about ¼ tsp) and 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- To the egg mixture, add 2 cups of the cooled quinoa and stir gently until all the ingredients are mixed.
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin tin cups to the tops and cook at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until lightly browned on top.
- Serve hot.
- Optional: you may add chopped tomatoes and lightly steamed spinach leaves to the sauteed onions and garlic for a delicious twist.
The following two tabs change content below.
Beth Misner is the Corporate Vice Chair of BNI Emeritus, the Co-Founder of the BNI Foundation and Founder of Journey Center Claremont. She is a certified chiropractic assistant, certified sports nutritionist, black belt in karate, tai chi/qi gong instructor, ordained minister and meditation/prayer leader. When Ivan was diagnosed in 2012 with prostate cancer, she drew from all her expertise relating to “mind, body and spirit” to partner with him on a journey into recovered health.